Tips on how to take care of your sick dog
For any dog owner, your dog is a family member, a child and a true friend. It can be said that few experiences in life are more heart-wrenching than your child or pet gets sick. Dog-owners will get worried and even do not know how to take care of your sick dog. The first thing to do is to recognize symptoms that your pet is sick, often followed by determining the severity. In some mild cases, we can take care of them at home, but some cases must be immediately brought to a veterinarian. Please consult your doctor for full advice offline for anything you’re not sure.
1. Identify symptoms of disease
To identify abnormal signals or pathological signals, you first need to monitor and understand the daily activities of your dog, such as when they eat, when to go to the toilet, etc. Then you will recognize when symptoms occur.
If your dog is mildly ill with symptoms like vomit or diarrhea, you can take care of him at home and be sure to call your doctor to inform about unusual behavior of your pet.
Some symptoms require urgent medical treatment. And you should not hesitate to call your doctor immediately when you meet the following situations:
– Vomiting, diarrhea incessantly
– Eat toxic substances
– Continuous convulsions
– Injury to bleed a lot
– Broken bones
– A large swelling on the face, eyes or throat
2. Treating the disease at home
Here are some tips on how to take care of your sick dog when he is ill:
– Do not feed your dog if he has vomiting or diarrhea. With puppies and dogs over 6 months old that are healthy, do not feed them within 24 hours if the initial symptom is vomiting or diarrhea. You also should not give your dog favorite foods and gnaw bone-toys.
– Make sure your dog drinks enough water. There is no need to limit your dog’s intake of water unless he or she vomits. Otherwise, it is necessary to consult your veterinarian.
– Feed your dog with bland food in 1 to 2 days. After letting them fast and seeing them better, you can start feeding them with bland foods again. It is best to eat white rice with chicken or boiled meat (without skin or fat). When your dog is healthy again, you can continue feeding them with foods as usual.
– Limit outdoor activities or playing outside. You can still give them a walk if they are not too tired, but avoid letting them run around.
– Follow symptoms and look for feces and urine. If the condition does not get better, you need to bring him to your veterinarian for timely treatment.
3. Provide your dog with a comfortable space and a safe environment
– You should not leave your dog outdoors, just let them indoors at night to keep an eye on them.
– Give them a comfortable sleeping place with a dog mattress.
– Keep them in a quiet space to rest when they are sick. Just like us, only then can they get well soon.
– Isolate the sick dog from other dogs to prevent spreading of the disease and help your dog to rest.
– Do not feed your dog the same foods as human’s food. Some are very toxic to them, for example, products containing Xylitol – found in sugar-free foods and oral hygiene products. Some other harmful foods that you should not feed your dog include chocolate, avocado, alcoholic beverages, grapes, raisins, garlic, etc.
– Do not use human medicines for dogs unless you have consulted your veterinarian.
– Do not put toxic substances in their reach such as detergents, pesticides, fertilizers, insecticides, etc.
– In the end, it should really great if you give them your daily care and talk to them gently and lovingly!
By nature, dogs are belonging to affectionate animal, so one of the best gift we can give them is love. Giving them your love and caring, especially during their illness time, can help them feel safe and secure. The tips and instructions above are some suggestions on how to take care of your sick dog. In some situations, it is insufficient for caring your sick dog at home. In those moments, bring him to the veterinarian immediately. For more information about dog care tips, kindly refer here:http://updogsupplies.com/dog-care-tips/